[ Skip navigation ]
Burford is situated about 20 miles west of Oxford and generally regarded as the Gateway to the Cotswolds.
The wide High Street sweeps down a hill from the A40 towards the river Windrush which is crossed by a narrow three arched bridge. The High Street contains all manner of houses, shops and inns, some dating from the 15th century. From the 14th to the 17th century Burford was a great wool town and near the middle of the High Street is the 'Tolsey' where once wealthy wool merchants held their meetings and collected tolls; it now houses a museum.
A fine church with a slender steeple lies by the river Windrush. The central part of the Tower and west doorway are Norman while the rest of the church dates from around the 15th century. In May 1649 at the end of the English Civil War, 340 of the Levellers were rounded up and imprisoned in Burford Church by Cromwell and his men. Carvings from the incarcerated soldiers and the bullet holes of the three executed ring leaders can still be seen to this day.
The Blue Cross National Animal Welfare Charity has its Headquarters in Burford.